Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:44:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interruptable hang starting init in today's -CURRENT

>Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 22:12:46 +0700 (NOVST)
>From: nnd@mail.nsk.ru

>>        start_init: trying /sbin/init
>>        DEPENDENCY NOTE: portmap will be enabled to support NFS
>>        Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point

>> Leaving the system alone, it will apparently sit there (staying fairly
>> busy, based on the speed of the fan -- this is my laptop) indefinitely.

>	I see analogous situation on my -CURRENT system
>(this is 'uname -a' of it:
>FreeBSD wint.itfs.nsk.su 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #2:\
> Thu Jul  5 16:04:53 NOVST 2001\
>   nnd@wint.itfs.nsk.su:/scratch/obj/usr/src/sys/WINTS  i386)

>	In my case the reason for "Hang" is in the 'sysctl -a'
>command (/dev/random feeding one in /etc/rc). This command
>(or even 'sysctl net.inet.accf') runs endlessly ;-(

OK; I got today's -CURRENT built and running:
FreeBSD m147.whistle.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #60: Thu Jul  5 09:27:49 PDT 2001     root@m147.whistle.com:/common/C/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP_30W  i386

but it exhibits the same "hanging".  And sure enough, "sysctl -a" hangs;
here's that last part of its output before it does:

net.inet.tcp.local_slowstart_flightsize: 65535
net.inet.tcp.newreno: 1
net.inet.tcp.tcbhashsize: 512
net.inet.tcp.do_tcpdrain: 1
net.inet.tcp.pcbcount: 27
net.inet.tcp.icmp_may_rst: 1
net.inet.tcp.msl: 30000
net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive: 1
net.inet.udp.checksum: 1
net.inet.udp.maxdgram: 9216
net.inet.udp.recvspace: 42080
net.inet.udp.log_in_vain: 0
net.inet.udp.blackhole: 0
net.inet.accf.unloadable: 0
^C

A -CURRENT kernel as recent as 2 days ago does not exhibit this, and the
problem showed up yesterday.  (My previous message has details such as
message & dmesg logs and CVSup history.)

I'll be hunting for likely commits, though I wouldn't object if someone
else beats me to it....  :-)

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.