Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:58:36 -0300
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <daniel.sobral@tcoip.com.br>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP window and vlans

Bill Fenner wrote:

> Are the VLAN interfaces trunked on the FreeBSD side (i.e. vlanN)?

Yes.

> Are you getting bitten by the device driver dropping large frames
> (VLAN trunks need a higher MRU/MTU, which no drivers seem to support;
> see http://www.euitt.upm.es/~pjlobo/fbsdvlan.html for if_fxp patches)

I don't know about these patches. Someone said to me just setting mtu
for vlan to 1500 would work with an fxp. Before that I had tried
increasing the maximum size of the ethernet. Both things seemed to work
(large pings went ok).

Anyway this doesn't seem to match with the symptoms. Things stop being
transmitted only when the receiver side sends a window size smaller than
the average packet, and the buffer of the connection gets filled up.

> If you set the MTU to 1496 do things get better?

No because if I do that all my routing goes to outer space and I wouldn't

be able to send a single packet.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Daniel.Sobral@tcoip.com.br

What PROGRAM are they watching?