Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:16:32 -0400
From:      "Christian S ." <cschreiber@netrail.net>
To:        Daniel Guetzkow <dguetzkow@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't ping

This may be elementary, but 10.0.0.1 is completely outside your network/mask setup. Not only that, but you
are pointing the default route at yourself, which (IIRC), is not a good thing, since that is where the
machine is supposed to send routes to that it doesn't know how to handle (In other words, if it uses the
defroute, it's because it doesn't know how to get to the destination. Setting it as yourself perpetuates
the loop.)

Just some pointers, they may be worthless, use at your own risk, IANAL, YMMV, blah blah blah.. :)

Regards,
Christian

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 05:05:54PM -0700, Daniel Guetzkow babbled:
> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:05:54 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Daniel Guetzkow <dguetzkow@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Can't ping
> To: questions@freebsd.org
>
> I just brought up 4.2 on what is to be a simple webserver.
>
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> I've got kernel and filesystems installed OK. System boots, and gives
> me "ed0" for my network card, a NE2000 clone (Real-Tek 8029), a PCI
> card. I didn't set up the card, just plugged it in.
>
> my rc.conf file reads (excuse my typing errors)
> +++++++++++++++++++
> hostname="compassion.joss.com" #will be node on joss.com domain
> network_interfaces="ed0 lo0"
> ifconfig_ed0="inet 199.34.53.178"
> ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
> default_router="199.34.53.178"
> gateway_enable="YES"
> static routes=""
> #
> #sysinstall <???>
> linux_enable="YES"
> sendmail_enable=YES"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> inetd_enable="YES"
> #
> #sysinstall
> ntpdate_flags="bitsy.mit.edu"
> ntpdate_enable="YES"
> #
> #sysinstall
> router_enable="NO"
> ++++++++++++++++++ end of file
> Now, gateway_enable was set to NO, but I changed it to YES, thinking
> that it would permit the command "ping 10.0.0.1" to route through the
> ed0 interface. Should it be "yes" or "no"? Is it likely that rc.conf is
> the problem?
>
> +++++++++++++++
>
> I have a "crossover" cable wired directly from one NIC to another on a
> Windows ME machine. Might this be the problem? I don't have a hub, I
> only occasionally need the network.
>
> I've changed the cable (have 2 such cables), so I don't think the cable
> itself is faulty. I'm using brand new crossover cables. I also tried
> all this with properly terminated thinnet cable. I have not tried to
> boot with floppies to Windows DOS and run low level card utilities.
> Perhaps that is next.
>
> +++++++++++++++++
> So I've got the webserver directly cabled to a desktop, forced to
> 10.0.0.1. Each machine can ping its own card, by can't ping across the
> cable to the other card, from either side.
>
> Can I run ssh from a Windows ME machine? where do I get a copy? I'd
> like to control this from a remote location, and have heard the horrors
> of running telnetd, which used to work for me.
>
> Daniel

---end quoted text---

--
Christian Schreiber, Netrail Network Security Engineer
                -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759