Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 02:42:44 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

At 02:51 PM 9/25/2001, you wrote:
>The rest of the world cares because America's "solution" to the
>problem will, likely as not, be to arm some other armed group against
>the Taliban (the northern alliance being the most likely candidate),
>flood the place with more sophisticated arms and ammunition, and
>eventually aim to install some puppet regime there.  The catch being
>that a puppet regime will last only so long, and meanwhile a
>disenchanted population will be growing, another Bin Laden among them,
>the difference being that this one is much better armed.  Or -- the US
>will simply kill so many civilians and trample over so many Islamic
>feelings that bin Ladens will arise spontaneously from all over.

Even if such a dilemma does exist, I don't see that taking *no* action is
an option.  If destroying two of the most prominent facilities in America
and staggering the global economy into recession wasn't a big enough rush
for the surviving conspirators, I can't imagine the rush they'd get if
there was no repercussion for it.

Sure, it may be a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario for the
United States.  But if anyone has a better solution to the problem, I'd
love to hear it.

--Chip Morton