Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:22:50 +0100
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@izr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Way Off Topic: Bookmarks

Louis LeBlanc (leblanc+freebsd@smtp.ne.mediaone.net) wrote:
> On 10/11/01 08:38 PM, Mark Drayton sat at the `puter and typed:
> > what ever (thursday@sdf.lonestar.org) wrote:
> > > I'm wondering what people are doing to manage their bookmarks. In
> > > my home office, I find myself switching between Netscrape on my
> > > Windows machine, and between Konqueror & Netscrape on my FreeBSD
> > > machine. I mostly use the FreeBSD machine for surfing, but my
> > > NN/Win instance had the biggest bookmarks file (years of surfing
> > > on that platform before I found the *nix light).
> >
> > I have a web page on my server with all my commonly used bookmarks.
> > I store all the bookmarks in an XML file (easier to edit) which is
> > then turned into HTML by a CGI script.
> >
> > I also have a bookmark in IE that adds the current page to an HTML
> > document using a couple of Javascript functions (to get the current
> > URL and page title). Perhaps one day I'll change this to add the
> > site to my bookmarks.xml file... If anyone is interested I'll post
> > the script and Javascript to add the URLs tomorrow when I get to
> > work.
>
> Of course.  Even if I can't set it up now, It'd be nice to save for a
> future project.  I'm not sure what I'd prefer to do, but it seems a
> bookmark to a javascript tool might be a cool way to do that.  From a
> page you want to bookmark, just select the bookmark to the javascript,
> and it can grab the page you're on and dump it into the script.
>
> The javascript must just feed the last visited url to the cgi script,
> which can then fetch the title.  From there, perl can dump it into an
> xml or html page pretty easily, just leave a commented tag where the
> next one has to be inserted, or even sort it, categorize it, whatever.
> The whole thing could actually live on the server.

Ok, here is the Javascript. Make this the target of a bookmark/favorite
(I've only tried it with IE):

javascript:location.href="http://example.com/bookmarks/append.pl?title="+document.title+"&url="+document.URL

And here's append.pl:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use CGI;

my $cgi = CGI->new;
my $broken = 0;
my $bookmarks = '/home/htdocs/bookmarks/bookmarks.html';

my $url = $cgi->param('url') || ($broken = 1);
my $title = $cgi->param('title') || ($broken = 1);

if ($broken) {
	print $cgi->header;
	print "URL and/or title not supplied\n";
	exit 1;
}

open(BOOKMARKS, ">>$bookmarks") || die "can't open $bookmarks\n";
close(BOOKMARKS);

print "Location: $url\n\n";

exit 0;

This whole lot works reasonably well, apart from slightly mucking up
your browser history by using location.href and Location:. Feel free to
fiddle.

Cheers,

--

Mark Drayton