Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 03:00:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        "Eduardo Viruena Silva<eduardo.viruena@esfm.ipn.mx>" <mrspock@Michelle.esfm.ipn.mx>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bochs does not load HIMEM.SYS

Michael Lucas wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 06:23:20AM -0600, Eduardo Viruena Silva<eduardo.viruena@esfm.ipn.mx> wrote:
> >
> > I have a computer running FreeBSD 4.4, with 256Mb RAM.
> > I installed bochs-1.2,1.tgz package.
> >
> > I created a image disk and loaded MSDOS 6.22.  No problem
> > with the installation process.
> >
> > I get a MS-DOS window and everything start working
> > but HIMEM.SYS.
> >
> > It reports:
> >
> > =================
> > 	ERROR: Unable to control A20 line.
> > 	XMS Driver not installed.
> > =================
[snip]
> > Now, it also happends with Windows 95 and 98 booting discs.
> > I tried in another computer, it didn't work either [the difference
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ same OS ?
> > between them is the X11 version, one of them has the 4.0.2
> > version].
> >
> > I also tried compiling the port.
> > It did not work either, the problem is the same.
> >
> > Finally I tried in a linux system and it works fine.

do you use the same .bochsrc ?

try again w/ the following line in your .bochsrc :

log: .bochs/bochs.log

and eventually w/ this one :

debug: action=report

> > Another problem:  there are problems if I install Turbo C++ 3.0, the
> > computer --even thought it is not frozen--  does not respond to the
> > keyboard.  And I say it is a keyboard problem because when I make turbo C
> > compile a program with the /m option [make] or /b option [build], it
> > compiles and links.

is this working under your linux box ?

> > Could you please help me?

did you read the FAQs ?

http://www.google.com/search?q=bochs+%2BFAQ&hl=fr&lr=

also, try this mailing-list :

which is archived here :

http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/11758/0/

GYI, I found it using :

PS : Eduardo, your signature is really too long. it should be only
     4 lines long and it *must* be preceded by "-- \n" (dash dash
     space newline).

> You'll get a better response asking the people who wrote
> bochs... surely they have a user community?

you are right ;^)

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net