Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:28:56 +0000 (EDT)
From:      Michael Imamura <gte255n@prism.gatech.edu>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eterm error when going su

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, chip wrote:
> I have Eterm 0.9.1 installed and working. but when I su I get the following
> error:
>
> _su: cannot open /etc/termcap.
> _su: using dumb terminal settings.
>
> /etc/termcap is symlinked to /usr/share/misc/termcap. The permissions are set
> to read and execute by all.
> Any ideas what this means and how I can fix it?

Just a shot in the dark (and because I didn't see any other replies),
check the value of $TERM from within Eterm ("echo $TERM").  If it's
"Eterm", then that might be causing some problems.

Try starting Eterm with "Eterm --term-name xterm-color" to see if that
fixes the problem.  The term name can also be set in the theme config file
(look for the line that starts with "term_name").

Hope this helps.

              - Michael Imamura   mimamura@resnet.gatech.edu
                LUG@GT Web Guy    http://www.lugatgt.org/