Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:57:36 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
Cc:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>, Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Softupdates

On Monday 26 November 2001 18:20, Bob Willcox wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 09:19:52AM -0500, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:
>
>   [snip]
>
> > Also, you most definately should turn off write-caching if you turn on
> > softupdates.  In fact, you should do this anyway: softupdates are really
> > rather safe, but write caching is quite dangerous, and doubly so with
> > softupdates enabled.
> >
> > To do this, set
> >
> >    hw.ata.wc=0
> >
> > in your  /boot/loader.conf (assuming IDE devices).

If you use softupdates *and* enable write caching then you will screw up your
disk with a simple sequence like

rm -r foo/*
shutdown -p now

because the softupdates process will just finish writing its updates before
the power is clobbered.

At least that happens with my hardward, so softupdates is not compatible with
write-cache-enabled.

And from what I can tell (no rigorous testing), softupdates w/o write cache
is just as fast as non-softupdates w/ write cache, but lots safer.  I know
that I've crashed 8 times in the last 36 hours and I'm darn glad I don't
enable write caching!  (Of course that's not the norm, but sometimes I manage
that sort of thing.)

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org