Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:38:57 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Stupid Virus going arround (recipe results so far)

--mkHYMT4O8DyWoHkb

On 11/27/01 10:58 AM, Louis LeBlanc sat at the `puter and typed:
> On 11/27/01 02:41 PM, setantae sat at the `puter and typed:
> > On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 09:34:11AM -0500, Andre` Niel Cameron wrote:
> > > The next time I get this thing I am sending everyone a copy a Norton;)
> > > Everyone knows someone stuck a virus on the list, most of us have Ant=
i Virus
> > > software some do not I think those who do not need to goto download.c=
om and
> > > get some as you keep sending the virus to the list.  Just a thought.
> >=20
> > Did anyone knock out a procmail recipe for it yet ?
> >=20
> > If so, could you share it please ?
> >=20
> > Thanks,
> >=20
> > Ceri
>=20
> This was recently shared on the procmail users list:
>=20
> # Trap BadTrans? (signature as of 11/26/2001)
> #
> :0
> * > 40000
> * < 50000
> * ^Subject:.*Re:
> *
> ^Content-Type:.*multipart/related;.*"multipart/alternative";.*boundary=3D=
"=3D=3D=3D=3D_ABC1234567890DEF_=3D=3D=3D=3D"
> {
>   :0 B hfi
>   | formail -Y -f -A "X-Content-Security: [$HOST] NOTIFY" \
>     -A "X-Content-Security: [$HOST] QUARANTINE" \
>     -A "X-Content-Security: [$HOST] REPORT: Trapped BadTrans worm - see h=
ttp://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.b@mm.ht=
ml"
> }
> :0A
> { FOLDER=3Dspam }
>=20
> The first recipe will set headers to tell you that it is the worm, the
> second can  be used to  redirect it. I'm just  dumping it into  a spam
> folder with  the other cr@p, but  you may want to  /dev/null or bounce
> it.
>=20
> The key is the Content-Type header. Apparently it always uses the same
> mime types and the same boundary - with the quotes.

Just thought  you folks might  want to know  how I've fared  with this
particular recipe so far today:

Infected messages caught: 14
Infected messages missed: 0
False positives: 0

This is what the attachments look like in mutt:
  I     1 <no description>                 [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 0.3K]
  I     2 `-><no description>         [text/html, quoted, iso-8859-1, 0.1K]
  I     3 docs.DOC.pif                           [audio/x-wav, base64, 38K]
  I     4 <no description>               [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.1K]

The .pif attachment is the actual virus, and can have various names. I
don't know if it's munged from an actual document on a hard drive it's
been on, but I've seen  such titles as Humor.mp3.pif, me_naked.jpg.pif
(LOL) and various other names that don't look random.

Looks like it works, tho.

Lou

PS. You may  need to use different  formail flags in the  pipe used in
that recipe. Forgot to mention that in the original post.
--=20
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     =D4=BF=D4=AC

A Law of Computer Programming:
  Make it possible for programmers to write in English
  and you will find that programmers cannot write in English.

--mkHYMT4O8DyWoHkb

--mkHYMT4O8DyWoHkb--