Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:29:32 -0500
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keeping a system in use during a complete rebuild?

ryan rambled,

> dochawk@psu.edu wrote to Ryan Thompson:
> > I'm also getting weird sound results, apparent attempts to load
> > the linux module after it's already loaded, and a couple of other
> > weird events.
>
> Hmm... Who knows... Something obviously got corrupted. I'd probably
> clean out /usr/src and /usr/obj, run fsck -p (unmount the filesystems
> first :-b), restore the GENERIC kernel, re-cvsup the sources, rebuild,
> and install. (In that order). Or, to be absolutely sure, you might
> still consider remaking the filesystems and reinstalling from fresh
> media. Hardware problems can wreak all sorts of lingering havoc on
> things.

time.  no time :)   but I do have fresh source, and, as I mention
below, portsdb suddently started workign again.  I'm rebuilding the
entire ports tree.  Then I'll do a fresh world, then force the ports
again for good measure.

> > > You can upgrade most all ports on a running system without any
> > > worries. Check out the portupgrade port|package to make life easy.

> > That's where this mess started :)  Portupgrade no longer works,
> > and /usr/ports/INSTALL.db and .rbs are gone and won't come back.

> > whoa, hold on. A little dinkin here, and a little there, and
> > suddenly, after days of fighting, portsdb -uU is actually doing
> > something!  I may be home free!  Yeehah!

> > hawk, who now sees that sacrificing the bunny *did* pay off . . .

> :-) If you're not home free yet, you can always just rm -Rf /usr/ports
> and re-fetch the ports dist (ports.tar.gz), to start out clean.

I've done that a couple of times :)  the problem was that I still
couldn't force INDEX.db to come back . . .

And I really wish I knew why it was working now.

Thanks to all.

hawk

--
What part of "non-negotiable" didn't you understand? /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700           \ /   against HTML mail