Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:18:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chern Lee <chern@freebsd.org>
Cc:        , freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/32578: A _really_ petty change to the front page of the

On 22-Dec-01 Chern Lee wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR docs/32578; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Chern Lee <chern@FreeBSD.org>
> To: Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
> Cc: <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: docs/32578: A _really_ petty change to the front page of the
>  website
> Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 16:35:32 -0800 (PST)
>
>  I'm not sure if I follow what you are trying to say...
>
>  (FreeBSD can) run a huge variety of applications.  This makes perfect
>  sense.  But these are not complete sentence, just fragments.
>
>  (FreeBSD) runs a huge variety of applications. - makes sense
>
>  As a fragment, both run and runs make sense, because they can be prefixed
>  with something to make it complete.
>
>  I think it's fine the way it is.

Hmm, I find them awkward for a different reason: 1, 2, and 4 don't start with a
verb, which is what makes this awkard.

Nevertheless, after re-reading the page, I read #3 more as the reader can use
FreeBSD to run a huge variety of applications, and for the implied you, the
verb is correct.  If there was someway to restate #3 so as not to use a verb, I
think I would prefer that, but I can't think of a clean way of doing that atm.
Well, one way might be to be explicit and say "FreeBSD has ...", "FreeBSD can
implement...", "FreeBSD can...", "FreeBSD is...".