Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:43:52 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/man/man Makefile man.c src/etc/mtree BSD.local.dist BSD.usr.dist BSD.x11-4.dist BSD.x11.dist

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 03:42:10PM +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> As Robert Watson wrote:
>
> > There's a
> > lot of risk involved here, not all that disimilar to the risk involved in
> > setuid suidperl.  We turn that off by default, and users can always turn
> > it on if they need it.
>
> I'd wish we could also (optionally) turn suidness on again for man(1), in
> the same way it can be done for suidperl (i. e. via /etc/make.conf).  For
> my usual home machine, security implications of someone clobbering my
> catpages aren't of concern to me, but i somewhat like the idea of a
> `catpage cache' (as opposed to always catmanning the entire tree).

All you need to do is to change the ownership on catpages holding
directories back to ``man'', and install man(1) setuid ``man''.
But because it was proven to be insecure in many ways (the most
important leak is a customized environment), I don't like the idea
of even putting the required knobs back to src/.  You can simply
make man(1) setuid root on your home machine, without even twiddling
with the ownership.  :-)

> > We have a catman distribution already, I believe, which can be enabled in
> > sysinstall.  Maybe it's time to make it part of the default install, if it
> > isn't already.
>
> I wouldn't do this.  For CPUs with clocks in the Gigahertz
> range, it's not that hard to trade speed (reformat the page
> each time) against the space required by the catpages.
> Solaris doesn't store catpages, for example.
>
> I once created the catman distribution mainly with the idea
> in mind to save CPU time on slow machines.  Owners of slow
> machines are then still free to install this distribution.
> The sad thing: it now might cause catfiles to become stale,
> if the luser installed more recent man pages.  I hope man(1)
> is smart enough to handle that situation, and would reformat
> the more recent man source instead of displaying the stale
> catpage then.  (Owners of slow machines probably won't like
> the idea much to re-catman the entire tree regularly.)

Yes, man(1) handles this.  Also, catman(1) doesn't re-catman
the entire tree by default:

: -f, -force
:    Force overwriting old cat pages.  Normally only those pages will
:    be formatted which are not up to date.  This option is a waste of
:    time, CPU and RAM.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,