Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 04:06:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      FreeBSD user <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw, dummynet, weights, and ssh?

I don't understand how this is a bandwidth reservation issue. I simply
want ssh packets to receive priority over all other packets. Does this
mean I have to specifically set aside say, some amount of bandwidth even
if there are no ssh connects at the time? I don't understand the issue, I
guess, of what's involved in giving priority to ssh packets. Is it indeed
a bandwidth reservation issue, or is there no such thing as priority when
dealing with packets leaving and entering an interface? Btw. I'm on a
RADSL that's dynamic, so I have no idea at any given moment in time how
much bandwidth I've got from QWest. From their rep, they said anywhere
from 128kb to 1.2mb. Dunno if that's true or not, but I don't know if I
can simply say to ipfw, "I've got a 128kb pipe, set aside 5kb at all times
for ssh packets"

Do I have to specify a bandwidth?

From reading dummynet(4), it's refering to a queue with pipes. I don't
know the exact workings of dummynet, but from what I remember of my
datastructured class on queues, can't ssh packets entering a queue be
moved to the head of the line before other packets currently in the queue?
So say, I specify one pipe that all packets have to go through. And
when a ssh packet enters the pipe and it gets pulled out of order and
moved immediately to the head of the queue/pipe?

Just tossing thoughts around.. Please don't take my idle thoughts as
anything but that. I guess I can try reading the ipfw/dummynet sources,
but with my diminuitive programming background, I think I'd have better
luck deciphering Bush's budget plans.