Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 01:07:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@free.fr>
To:        Stijn Opheide <stijn.opheide@kotnet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI controller doesn't work during install

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Stijn Opheide wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 03:53:54AM +0100, G=E9rard Roudier wrote:
> > It is the second failure of this kind I saw reported under FreeBSD 4.5.
> > Note that everything works on my machine (Supermicro 370 DLE + 810A + 8=
95
> > + 896 + 1033-66) under this O/S version.
> >
> > Btw, Il also have no Symbios driver problems under Linux. :)
> >
> > The driver has been full source-stable since at least 1 year and haven'=
> > had problems of this kind reported under FreeBSD 4.3 for example.
> >
> > What happens is that a physical address used by the chip to DMA from th=
> > PCI bus seems wrong. The failure happens during some simple checkings
> > performed at initialisation. The driver gets such address values from t=
he
> > kernel BUS handling software.
> >
> > Could you give a try with FreeBSD 4.3 and/or 4.4 installation and see i=
> > it makes difference (as I wrote, these O/S versions have basically same
> > sym driver version as 4.5).
>
> It works with FreeBSD 4.3, not with 4.4...

Interesting.

Some driver changes happen between 4.3 and 4.4, but they should have close
to no effect since they address CAM new transfer settings that aren't
available in 4.x (thus #ifed out). I just wanted to keep the source in
sync with the main CVS branch.

The best thing to try would be 4.5 + sym from 4.3, IMO, [and/or 4.3 + sym
from 4.5].

Regards,
  G=E9rard.