Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 10:05:21 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@FreeBSD.org>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk bsd.lib.mk

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 10:53:59AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> [...]
LIB.

> > > This change "breaks" all bsd.lib.mk makefiles with INTERNALLIB but wi=
thout
> > > INTERNALSTATICLIB.  These are:
> > Is the breakage just to build libraries which are never used?
>=20
> Define "breaks".  Is it more than the "ran lib.a" part?  I have been able
> to do multiple `make world's on three platforms -- including sparc64
> which had very little already installed.  So I know I don't break world.
>=20
"Breaks" means it does unnecessary job now.  That's why I took it in
quotes.

> > > gnu/lib/csu/Makefile
> > > lib/csu/alpha/Makefile
> > > lib/csu/i386-elf/Makefile
> > > lib/csu/ia64/Makefile
> > > lib/csu/powerpc/Makefile
> > > lib/csu/sparc64/Makefile
> > > lib/libgnumalloc/Makefile
> > > lib/libresolv/Makefile
> > > sys/boot/alpha/libalpha/Makefile
> > > sys/boot/arc/lib/Makefile
> > > sys/boot/i386/btx/lib/Makefile
> > > sys/boot/pc98/btx/lib/Makefile
> > >
> > > These should be fixed by s/INTERNALLIB/NOLIB/ in them.
>=20
> Uh gnu/lib/csu/Makefile already has NOLIB, so why did you list it as
> "broken"?
>=20
I searched for bsd.lib.mk makefiles with INTERNALLIB but without
INTERNALSTATICLIB.

> I'll look at them, but NOLIB means exactly that -- no .a should be built.
> I know lib/libgnumalloc wants to build a .a or .so.  So I have to wonder
> if you read the diff.  sys/boot/alpha/libalpha does produce a .a.
>=20
NOLIB shouldn't exist at all.  It should be implied by the missing LIB=3D
assignment.  And of couse NOLIB (or missing LIB=3D variant of it) should
not imply NOMAN, etc.  Please pass your further bsd.lib.mk changes for
review through me.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,