Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 2002 13:29:16 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Matt O'Brien" <m___o___b@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Laptop

Matt O'Brien wrote:
>      I have a question.  I am not 100% certain but
> have a good enough idea.  I just want to know which
> version of FreeBSD I need to install on my P100, 16MB
> RAM Acer Laptop.  I do NOT have a CD ROM drive -- only
> a standard 1.44" floppy drive and also don't have a
> NIC :(

I don't see why you couldn't run the most recent, 4.5.
How much RAM does it have? 8meg is required.

>      Also, what kind of installation will I need to
> perform?  A 1.44" floppy disk installation??  Do I
> just need the mfsroot.flp and kern.flp ?  Are there
> any others I need?

Oh sheese ... you'll need to do a floppy install.
Read the installation instructions in the handbook.
Floppy installs are slow, tedious, and frustrating. I
did it with 3.x a few years ago because I had a lappy
without CD ROM as well.
Take my advice, if your time is worth anything, purchase
a NIC for the lappy and save your time and sanity.
Otherwise, you're looking at using 30+ floppies to do
the install.  My experience showed that about 10% of the
floppies didn't work right and had to be recreated.  Like
I said, slow, tedious, and frustrating.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology