Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:51:46 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@seattleFenix.net>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>, Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>, John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a Mac

[moved to -chat]

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 01:08:41PM -0700, Benjamin Krueger wrote:

> Apple does not own PowerPC, it belongs to IBM.

Is a joint project owned at least in part by Apple, IBM, and Motorola.
The CPU is derived from IBM's RS-6000 RISC. The MMU is from Motorola's
88000 RISC. Apple brought the two others together and committed to
volume purchases, rendering the project into an economic feasibility.

> IBM currently uses it in many of their server offerings. Apple's
> current line of PowerPC cpus are an implementation manufactured by
> Motorola. Motorola will sell them to folks other than Apple. In fact,
> Motorola has an entire line of PowerPC products for embedded and other
> systems.

Have an Apple G4 sitting right here but not interested enough to verify
who manufactured it to remove its heatsink. Was my understanding IBM's
big bally-hoo'ed copper chip process was being used and that most if not
all G4's were manufactured by IBM.

Motorola's embedded PPC CPU family is called "ColdFire".

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net