Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2002 18:23:51 -0500
From:      Steve Fettig <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        James Long <list@museum.rain.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.7-PRE and Linksys PCM100 NIC

On Sunday, September 8, 2002, at 03:48 , James Long wrote:

> I have a Thinkpad A20m running 4.7-PRE with a Linksys PCM100 PCMCIA NIC.
> The generic kernel doesn't see it, and I haven't found anything in
> the Google archives which helps.

I know I have had problems in the past with Linksys PCMCIA cards (mostly
because CardBus is not supported yet), but also I have horrible
throughput with the cards even when I get them working.  But, that
doesn't answer your question...  Here are two things I could think of:

I didn't understand what you meant by the PC Card insertion/removal
messages being an artifact.  Is pccard_enable="YES" set in rc.conf?  (I
know the questions sounds dumb, but I've forgotten it before, myself, so
I ask anyway.)  There is an entry in my pccard.conf for the PCM100, so
it leads me to believe that something is not enabled with your PC Card
slots in rc.conf.  Also, you do not have "device ed0" in your kernel and
I thought that the Linksys cards require that device.  You should check
to make sure it is in your kernel.
Another thing to watch out for with your PC Cards is that you only
enable the right number of IRQ's that are available.  You should
customize your pccard.conf and place the customized file in /etc.  Check
through dmesg to see which IRQ's are already taken by other devices and
eliminate those from the conf file.

HTH,
Steve

> What do I need to add to the kernel config file (below) to allow FreeBSD
> to probe this device successfully?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

<snip>