Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:06:01 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        Matthew Metnetsky <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: On the Go with FreeBSD and KDE

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 03:56:47AM -0500, Matthew Metnetsky wrote:
> 1) Is there some sort of 'standby' mode like Windows has so that the computer
> doesn't take as much power, and also is ON.  I have at most 10 minutes
> between classes and really don't want to turn off the laptop just to boot it
> up again 10 minutes later.  And then repeat this 4 times a day.  Any Ideas?

Generally I use the APM support in my laptop's BIOS. I use a Sony Vaio Z600.
Of course whether or not this works depends on your vendor. Luckily my
APM BIOS is working; many are badly broken. Either that or wait for ACPI
to be MFC'd.

When you have APM support, you can go to standby with the 'zzz' command. I
use WindowMaker, so I use wmapm, too.

> 2)  My laptop runs KDE.  Whenver I close the top while its running, and then
> reopen it, it goes on the fritz (i guess would be the best way to say it).
> Basically, the middle visual gets cut in half and goes to the top and bottom
> and the middle is just a solid weird color, and the mouse has no 'real'
> action on anything.  Is there anything I can do to stop this?  One reason for

Sounds like it could be ACPI or BIOS related, not knowing more about the
precise hardware you're running, no precise answer can be given!

(P.S. Please column-wrap your posts... col 78 or so is good.)

BMS