Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:46:52 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>, jdarnold@buddydog.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade recommendations

At 10:24 AM 10.16.2002 -0700, Mike Hogsett wrote:

>I would recommend a cvsup, build world, build kernel, etc. upgrade to
>4.7-RELEASE personnally.  Doing the upgrade this way will keep downtime to
>a minumum ( perhaps 10 minutes downtime ).
>
> - Mike
>

>> I'm currently running 4.5, and want to upgrade my machine and was
>> wondering what you might have for recommendations.
>>
>> It has dual 333mhz Pentium II cpus, an S3 video card, 256mb RAM
>> and a 20gb hard drive - not cutting edge hardware by any means!
>> All it does is serve my small web sites via Apache and run some
>> low volume mailing lists via Mailman. It isn't kept too busy,
>> but it shouldn't be down for long periods nonetheless.
>>
>> I'm thinking of 3 possible paths:
>>
>> 1] A binary upgrade using the latest 4.x (4.7?)
>>
>> 2] A binary upgrade to 5.0
>>
>> 3] A reformat and complete upgrade to 5.0 - I already have
>> the web site & mailing list dbs backed up.
>>
>> As scary as it sounds, I'm leaning towards #3. It seems it
>> shouldn't be too hard to move the Mailman database stuff
>> to a new machine, so my main concern is how stable 5.0 is
>> at this point. I'm willing (heck, even want) to play with
>> some bleeding edge technology, but I do need it to be
>> running with extensive handholding. Is 5.0 at that stage?
>> --
>> Jonathan Arnold             (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
>> The Incredible Brightness of Seeing, a Home Theater weblog
>>          http://jdarnold.tzo.com/HomeTheater

I am also running 4.5 and have not moved up because I don't want to deal
with the Sendmail 8.12.x changes yet that will affect my mail server and
majordomo. So, there will be some configuring *pains* to deal with and need
to be ready for.... and it may hamper and extend the downtime well beyond
the 10 minutes if you don't first test on another machine.... IMHO....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net