Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:43:54 -0800
From:      Arun Sharma <arun@sharma-home.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.0-DP2 boot failure on a 440GX motherboard

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 05:35:53PM -0800, Arun Sharma wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 04:36:58PM -0800, Arun Sharma wrote:
> > This is a dual Pentium III motherboard, with 2 x PIII at 850 MHz.
> > 5.0-DP1 worked just fine on this machine. However, with DP2, I get a
> > garbled console (Everything is ok till the Timecounter.. message).
> >
> > Sometimes the CD manages to boot and get into sysinstall, but hangs
> > shortly thereafter. Even the sysinstall output is garbled.
>
> boot -v output captured from a serial console attached.

I have debugged this some more. I'm able to boot, if I boot from serial
console and am careful not to tickle the vga driver too much i.e.
interact with the machine over the network or over the serial console.

The moment I try to do anything on vga consoles, I get a hang.

Another observation: even when booting from the serial console, when the
vga driver probes/attaches the hardware, I see garbage written on my vga
console.

I tested that 11/25 kernel also has this problem. The problem didn't
happen with DP1.

	-Arun