Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:32:16 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: terminal incompatibility

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 02:49:09PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> This combination has worked remarkably well both for local programs
> and remotely displayed stuff from a Solaris,  Linux or BSD system :)

I believe the Solaris AT386 (or is it 386AT ?) terminal type is pretty
much the same thing as cons25 --- both are variants on the SCO color
console.  Worked pretty well the last time I tried it.  confirmation
of the correct terminal type under Solaris is easily found by grep'ing
for SCO in the Solaris /etc/termcap.

> You can always increase compatibility with other systems by changing
> cons25 to vt220 in /etc/ttys.   Not all systems have a cons25 termcap
> entry, but they all know about good ol' vt220 terminals.  FreeBSD's
> virtual ttys work fine then.

Don't you also have to modify the kernel configuration to support
vt220 compatibility --- this stuff in GENERIC as documented in
pcvt(4)?

    # syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
    device          sc0     at isa? flags 0x100

    # Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
    #device         vt0     at isa?
    #options        XSERVER                 # support for X server on a vt console
    #options        FAT_CURSOR              # start with block cursor
    # If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the PCVT lines
    #options        PCVT_SCANSET=2          # IBM keyboards are non-std

although a man page that talks about FreeBSD 1.0-GAMMA probably
indicates that the whole thing is a bit stale...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow