Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 13:53:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Cc:        marck@rinet.ru, dillon@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/man/man7 development.7

In message: <200212222046.gBMKkxZZ031850@apollo.backplane.com>
            Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
:     I've got a whole bunch of patch submissions building up for this.
:     I've already incorporated this correction in but thanks!
:
:     Two people asked me why a man page verses a doc.  The answer is simply
:     that an order of magnitude more people will read and use it as a manual
:     page verses as a doc.  In fact, now that I think about it, something
:     we really ought to do is incorporate document access into the
:     'man' system.

On a similar note, I've wondered why we don't have the man pages in
html form with appropriately generated indecies in
/usr/share/man/html*.  Lots of folks have moved beyond 'man' in the
environment I have at work and like to do more web based things (they
have bookmarks to people that have done these conversions even though
they have man pages locally).  This is different than what you are
saying, but in a similar vein.

I'm not sure how we'd incorporate access to handbook things into man,
but don't let my poverty of imagination stop people from being
innovative.

Warner