Date:      Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:19:19 +0100
From:      Marcin Dalecki <mdcki@gmx.net>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Synaptics touchpad extendid support.

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

>>>2. The pad has 4 buttons; left and right work as before.  In between,
>>>there are a small up and down button.  Now the up button acts as the
>>>middle button (button 3?) -- ie I can paste with it.  The down button
>>>still does nothing.
>

>>Well for certain the down button does something in esp. it is posting
>>button 4 events. Watch out xev please - you should see it there.
>

> Actually, I don't.  If I run moused without button options, ie
>   moused -t auto -d /dev/psm0
> I see the up button but not the down button.  If I run either
>   moused -t auto -d /dev/psm0 -3
> or
>   moused -t auto -d /dev/psm0 -m 4=2 -m 5=4
> I see neither the up button nor the down button in xev.

Please take a look at your dmesg. Here is what I get reported:

Synaptics Touchpad:
   model:          1
   firmware ver.:  4.6
   rot180:         Yes
   portrait:       No
   sensor:         18
   hardware:       47
   newABS:         Yes
   capPen:         No
   simpleCmd:      Yes
   geometry:       1
   capExtended:    Yes
   capSleep:       Yes
   capFourButtons: Yes
   capMultiFinger: Yes
   capPalmDetect:  Yes
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model Synaptics TouchPad, device ID 0
orm0: <Option ROM> at iomem 0xc0000-0xcbfff on isa0

>>>What I'd like is to emulate 3 buttons with simultaneous left-right
>>>clicking, as before; have the "up" button behave like scrolling a
>>>mousewheel up; and have the "down" button behave like scrolling a
>>>mousewheel down.  I thought the
>>> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>>
>>    Option Buttons 5?
>

> Yes, that was there.
>

>>>in XF86Config, and
>>> moused -m 4=3 -m 5=4
>>>would do it.  But no luck (though the above moused options do stop the
>>>up button from acting like a middle button).
>>
>>moused -m 4=2 -m 5=4 should do it.
>

> No luck, see above.
>
> Perhaps my hardware isn't a Synaptics touchpad?  (although it gets
> detected as one with your patch).  It's a Compaq Presario 1200 around
> a year old.

This is very unlikely. Becouse in case it wouldn't be a synaptics
would make it very very unlikely to do anything at all after
the detection :-). And you get at the middle button.

If you like you could please try to enable the following:

  #if 0
-        log(LOG_DEBUG, "psmintr: %02x %02x %02x %02x %02x %02x\n",
-           sc->ipacket[0], sc->ipacket[1], sc->ipacket[2],
-           sc->ipacket[3], sc->ipacket[4], sc->ipacket[5]);
+       log(LOG_DEBUG, "psmintr: %02x %02x %02x %02x %02x %02x\n",
+               sc->ipacket[0], sc->ipacket[1], sc->ipacket[2],
+               sc->ipacket[3], sc->ipacket[4], sc->ipacket[5]);
  #endif

debugging code in the psm.c driver code to see whatever there is
some kind of button reporting at all if you press the down button.
And I would recommand that you take a look at the documentation
at www.synaptics.com. Yes they actually provide
*full documentation* on the web! There are minor differences
in the packet format for older
firmware revisions as well. So plase compare your dmesg
with what I have reported above.

Have fun!

--
	Marcin Dalecki