Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 04:13:28 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how do i setup my FreeBSD box to act like an RARP server?

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, at 17:28 [=GMT-0800], Bsd Neophyte wrote:

> in order for my to do this though, i need to be able to have my FreeBSD
> box act as an RARP server.
>
> can anyone tell me how to do this?

man rarpd tells it all, but is a bit short

to get it started (and to see if the machine you want to install can
talk to the rarp server), make on the server a file

/etc/ethers

looking like this:

08:00:2B:27:7D:16 	vax

where the numbers are the MAC address of the network card (you should
get that from it, or from its bios) of the client, and "vax" is the
hostname for the machine.

Then put in /etc/hosts (on the server)

vax	10.0.0.123

where 10.0.0.123 is the IP address the client is to have

This should let your client get the IP address from the rarp server.

If you want rarpd to start always at boot, add to /etc/rc.conf

rarpd_enable="YES"               # Run rarpd (or NO).
rarpd_flags="-as"                  # Flags to rarpd.

Or start it manually (as root)

rarpd -as

Next stage is to do tftpboot, which depends on your architecture, the
Vax I ran NetBSD on, did this through mopd. But that is something from
DEC.