Date:      Sat, 01 Feb 2003 14:38:25 +1300
From:      Andrew Thompson <andy@fud.org.nz>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPF & IPFW

Crist J. Clark wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:17:10PM +0000, ian j hart wrote:
>

>>On Friday 31 January 2003 10:25 pm, Claus Guttesen wrote:
>>

>>Thank you for the info. I guess it's OK that I forward
>>this info to the maintainer of the above mentioned
>>FAQ.
>>
>>regards
>>Claus
>>

>>Har du problemer med din hjemmecomputer? F? hj?lp med Yahoo!s PC-support p?
>>http://dk.shopping.yahoo.com/pcsupport/index.html
>>

>>OTOH if you only need ipnat and not ipfilter you can do this...
>>
>>Don't compile in ipf. Turn on ipnat in rc.conf it will run after all the ipfw rules.
>>
>>I use this to "fix-up" packet source addreses.
>>
>>e.g. (warning from memory)
>>map rl0 from <my-ip>/32 to any port 25 -> <alias-ip>/32
>>
>>So outgoing email traffic appears to come from the alias IP.
>>[Don't ask, you don't want to know].
>>

>ipf(8) and ipnat(8) are the userland commands to interface with the
>same code in the kernel. You can't separate them. If you define
>IPFILTER in your kernel configuration, you get both, even if you only
>use one. If you load ipf.ko, you get both, even if you use only one.
>ipnat(8) occurs before ipfw(8) for incoming and after ipfw(8) for
>outgoing whether or not you are using ipf(8) rules.
>
>Packets get passed to "IPFilter-in-the-kernel" (the kernel code that
>both ipf(8) and ipnat(8) talk to) one place in ip_input.c and once in
>ip_output.c. The only way to change that is modify the code in those
>two. (Well, you might be able do do something with tunnels to get the
>effects, but it's still true for each step of the tunnel(s).)

Thanks everyone for your help,

The bit I was having trouble with was doing two transparent proxies
depending if the user had logged in or not, one to squid, the other to a
static page telling them to log in.  I have actually reworked my ipfw
rules so I dont need ipf anymore and its all working.  :)

This thread can be dropped unless you all want to discuss the ordering
more.  IMHO Christ is right.

Andy