Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:18:13 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI oddity

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org> wrote:
>  > Bill Moran wrote:
>  >> Jason Andresen wrote:
>  >>> I'm still curious if this is a problem with FreeBSD, with my
>  >>> motherboard, or with the Cards themselves.  Is it unusual for a card
>  >>> to share nicely?  Not one manual for any of my cards even mentions IRQ
>  >>> sharing.
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Then they probably don't.  IRQ sharing is one of those things that cards
>  >> usually brag about if they support.
>  >>
>  >> If you have non-sharing cards trying to use a shared interrupt, it won't
>  >> work.  Crashes don't surprise me under these circumstances.
>  >
>  > What would I be looking for on the box/datasheet/whitepaper to find if a
>  > card supports sharing?
>
> Interrupt-sharing is a standard PCI feature.  If a card
> claims PCI conformance, it must support interrupt sharing.
> If it doesn't support it, I'd consider it broken (either
> the card or the mainboard).
>
> I've seen interrupt sharing a lot on various machines,
> and never had any problems so far.

I wonder if it's a problem with my motherboard then, because I've never
managed to get the machine working with both slots populated, on
combinations of:

A NatSemi DP83815 10/100 NIC
Adaptec 19160B Ultra 160 Controller
AverMedia Brooktree 878 Based WinTV FM 98 card
Creative Labs EMU10k1 Based SB Live Value
CMD 649 Based generic 2 port ATA card
Promise TX2 ATA100 Controller
Sil 0680 ATA133 Controller
ADMtek AN985 10/100 NIC

Certainly some of these cards should adhere to the spec?  Even two
Promise TX2 cards (which share a bios and everything) cause FreeBSD to
panic on boot if they're installed in the bottom slots.

--
   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer