Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 03:00:10 +0000
From:      Andrew Sparrow <spadger@spadger.best.vwh.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Madlin dos Santos <madlin906@msn.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, knu@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Assistance needed on building  fwbuilder-0.8.7 on FreeBSD 5  release

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 02:15:36PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:03:10PM +0100, Madlin dos Santos wrote:
>
> > Can somebody please help me with the folowing error message :
>
> The port is broken and does not compile on 5.0.  You could try
> discussing this with the software authors (it looks like a gcc 3.x
> problem).

You'd likely get more (some?) support from the authors if the port
weren't ancient - current version is 1.09.

A PR to update to 1.04 was submitted August 2002 with patches:

	http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/41439

I ported fwbuilder myself around the same time, but wasn't very
impressed with the generated IPFilter rules which seemed to only
use a subset of the available functionality and the policy compiler
was too green, way too easy to make it dump core.

It may have improved substantially since, but at the time I got
vastly superior results writing IPF rules by hand.

Regards,

AS