Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 2003 16:04:56 -0400
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Shantanu Mahajan <freebsd@dhumketu.cjb.net>, Rohit <rohitvis@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting takes too long. Why? (/ was not properly dismounted)

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:28:23 +0530, Shantanu Mahajan =

<freebsd@dhumketu.cjb.net> wrote:

> | I shutdown using the shutdown -h now command
> | or reboot using reboot now
>
> 	did you try 'halt'?
> 	what msg. do you see after the shutdown is complete?

>From the halt(8) man page:

"Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be =

halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doo=
m =

and cleanly terminating specific programs."

>From the shutdown(8) man page:

"The following options are available:
     -h      The system is halted at the specified time."

So Rohit is in fact using 'halt' in the way it is normally invoked, as a=
n =

option to 'shutdown.'  Is there a reason that 'halt' without 'shutdown' =

would be preferable in this case?

Jud