Date:      Sat, 5 Jul 2003 23:07:55 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "J. Porter Clark" <j.porter.clark@nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nvidia and Dell Latitude's cover switch

--cvVnyQ+4j833TQvp

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 04:33:19PM -0500, J. Porter Clark wrote:
> I've been using x11/nvidia-driver from ports on a Dell Latitude
> C840 laptop with 4.8-STABLE.  I have it set to do 1600x1200.  The
> problem is that whenever I close the cover while it's running X,
> and then reopen the cover, the display is screwed up.

There's a new version of the x11/nvidia-driver port went into the tree
a few days ago:

    % pkg_info -I nvidia\*
    nvidia-driver-1.0.4365 NVidia graphics card binary drivers for hardware=
 OpenGL ren

This fixes a number of bugs in the nvidia driver: reports are that it
solves a lot of these sort of display problems.

Another trick I've found is to play around between having the agp
module compiled into the kernel or loading it as a .ko, or not loading
the agp.ko at all and using the nvidia internal agp stuff. You have to
recompile the nvidia drivers to switch between the OS agp.ko or the
nvidia equivalent.  See the 'CHOOSING THE AGP GART DRIVER' in
/usr/X11R6/share/doc/NVIDIA/README.  What the correct combination is
depends on what hardware you have.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20