Date:      Sat, 15 May 2004 09:56:21 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Matt Cyber Dog LaPlante <webmaster@cyberdogtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.7 Syslogs

--q9KOos5vDmpwPx9o

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 01:51:40AM -0400, Matt Cyber Dog LaPlante wrote:
> I've inherited a FreeBSD 4.7 server as part of a system administration jo=
b.
> =A0Recently I noticed that the syslog files had stopped collecting data. =
=A0This
> includes /var/log/messages and /var/log/console among others. =A0Up until=
 some
> time last week, they'd been full of data, but after some unknown event, a=
ll
> data collection stopped. =A0I did not build/configure the system, nor am I
> very fluent in the ways of BSD, so I do not know where else to begin look=
ing
> for answers. =A0I ran the newsyslog program to regenerate all the log fil=
es.
> =A0It created them, with the single line stating a new log file was creat=
ed,
> but aside from that one line they remain empty. =A0I tried manually resta=
rting
> syslogd, as well as rebooting the whole machine, neither of which have had
> any effect. =A0I have not manually altered any syslog configuration info,=
 and
> I basically have no idea what to try next. =A0I'm a relative noob when it
> comes to FreeBSD, so I'd appreciate answers in a simple format.  Thanks in
> advance...

Hmmm... that doesn't sound good.  Can you use logger(1) to write a
test message into the log files?

    % logger -p daemon.info -t TEST "Some test message"

which should appear in /var/log/messages.  If it doesn't, look at
/etc/syslog.conf and verify that it is sensible.  Then try killing
syslogd and starting it up in debug mode:

    # syslogd -d {other syslog flags}

this will not daemonize itself or go into the background and will
print out various debugging information as log messages come in.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way