Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:22:55 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: favor

David Gerard writes:

DG> Actually, I most profitably apply it in my day job, which is administering
DG> Solaris ;-) The purpose of vendors is to say to your boss that you have an
DG> SLA; getting actual *support* out of anyone (with exceptions like NetApp)
DG> is something best avoided IME.

Sometimes you need support quickly, more quickly than you can manage on
your own ... especially for mission-critical servers.  That's when a
complete formal support structure becomes invaluable.  And that's what
is missing from most open-source software, including FreeBSD.

DG> Corporate arse-covering rather than actual support, but yeah. I am
DG> told the horrible tale of a friend who is having to shift a pile of
DG> servers from FreeBSD to Red Hat because Red Hat have SLAs and they
DG> couldn't find sufficiently corporate-looking support for FreeBSD
DG> that did.

Exactly.

You can run FreeBSD in these environments IF you have highly qualified
in-house personnel to maintain it.  It doesn't matter how reliable
FreeBSD is, you need _someone_ who can fix it in an emergency.  And if
no such person is available with a phone call outside your organization,
you need the expertise in-house.  And if you don't have it in-house, you
can't use FreeBSD.

Linux is only marginally better.  You need an external support
organization with extremely competent technicians that has agreed to
provide you with some specific level of support, such that they risk a
lawsuit if they don't cough up when you call.  Then you get support.

DG> The trick will be to get organisations offering SLAs interested in the
DG> program. Even then the fact that it's hard to undercut $0 is a powerful
DG> factor in its spread.

Getting those organizations interested in open source will effectively
negate most of the advantages of open source.  You'll be paying someone
for your software again, and you'll be dependent on them again, and
you'll be using their proprietary solutions ... again.

DG> Realistically: a FreeBSD mailing list copyright apocalypse is not
DG> likely.

True.  But it only takes one lawsuit to wipe out the entire project.

--
Anthony