Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:26:57 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com>
Subject:   Re: Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>
>> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>>
>>> So, my question above, and a public call to -core, or anyone else:
>>>    What can we, as a community, due to improve this situation?
>>

>> How about buying from vendors that specifically support FreeBSD.
>> http://freebsdsystems.com
>> http://ixsystems.com
>>
>> and surely others.
>

> In my case, it comes down to two words: remote administration ... HP
> is the only system I've yet found that has it integrated as part of
> the hardware ...

Well, Dell do have a DRAC which at least allows remote console
independent of OS - also remote CD/floppy so you can install BSD from
300 miles away (as long as you have a windows(!) machine with a
CD/floppy locally).

Of course, their "OpenManage" software isn't, it's closed and only works
on Linux/Windows.

--Alex