Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:16:56 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "Eric P. Scott" <eps+pbug0611@ana.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: The truth about net-im/ymessenger

--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 09:48:38AM -0800, Eric P. Scott wrote:
> >This is not enough; since it is a 4.x binary it is linked against 4.x
> >versions of those libraries, and if you try and run the binary on a
> >modern version of FreeBSD then it will fail, since those libraries are
> >incompatible with their 4.x analogues.
>=20
> I just want to make it clear we're talking about two different
> binaries:

Yep, and everything I said also applies to the 5.x binary when running
on 6.x and above.  It may even apply to running it on later 5.x
releases (e.g. >=3D 5.3), if it's a binary built against an older
version.

> Would it be possible (hypothetically) to do something like this
> in the Makefile?
>=20
> DISTNAME=3D	# set below
>=20
> .if ${OSVERSION} < 500000
> DISTNAME=3D	fbsd4.${PORTNAME}
> .if ${OSVERSION} < 490102
> IGNORE=3D		requires libmap functionality
> .endif
> .else
> DISTNAME=3D	fbsd5.${PORTNAME}
> .if ${OSVERSION} >=3D 600000
> LIB_DEPENDS+=3D	c.5:${PORTSDIR}/misc/compat5x
> .endif
> .endif
>=20
> Is FreeBSD 5.5 / 5-STABLE considered "beyond hope" at this point?

It's also a "legacy" branch although termination of support is not
scheduled yet.  FreeBSD 6.x is the active branch that is receiving
most user attention and developer support, so a port that does not
work on 6.x is doomed to irrelevance by the tide of history :-)

If someone confirms that the 5.x binary still does actually work on
5.x, then a variation of your above could be added.  The variation
needed would be to keep it BROKEN on 6.0 and above, where neither
version of the binary works.

Kris

--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr

--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr--