Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2007 04:59:42 +1100
From:      Geoff Roberts <geoff@apro.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: System freeze on 6.1/2 when running makeworld and dump

Hi Kris,

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 02:33 am, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 07:14:41PM +1100, Geoff Roberts wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can consistantly make my system freeze when building makeworld
> > and running dump at the same time. The system actually locks - I
> > have to hit the reset switch to bring the system back to life.
> >
> > I also get a core dump on current.
>
> Don't keep us in suspense, when you have additional relevant details
> please provide them in your mail!

Thanks for the reply. I have been holding out whilst I have been running
some more tests to ensure the problem has been resolved.

After trying hard to ensure it wasn't a hardware problem I may have to
hang my head in shame and attibute this one to hardware. After
replacing the power supply, ram, a couple of power leads and a couple
of fans the problem is no longer appearing.

In the end the issue may have been a compination of a poor power supply,
an overheating graphics card and a shonky power lead. Apart from that
the system was fine :) I've had this system for a while and it had been
running fine. However it has obviously aged faster than I have.

I've now successfully run a build of the kernel, a build of KDE and a
dump of the file system at the same time for a couple of days.

I'm going to retry in current a little later. If there is any issue in
current I'll submit a core dump.

Kind regards,

Geoff