Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2007 12:00:54 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Background process

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 09:59:16AM -0600, eculp@argosteve.com wrote:
> Quoting sthomas@nerim.net:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I connect to my freebsd box via ssh using putty from a WindowsXP
> >workstation, I want to run a process on the freebsd box, then close my ssh
> >session (closing putty) while keeping the process running.
> >
> >So I run my process like this : # myprogram &, then I exit the shell.
> >

> nohup ?
>
> ed

There is always the screen program /usr/ports/sysutils/screen which is
ideal for things like this.  Although it's not a builtin like nohup, it
is (imho) more flexible.

(To be honest, I've used screen for so long, if I had to use nohup I'd
have to look up the syntax)

I think it's something like nohup sh -c $(your_command) & but I could be
wrong.

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Giles: But this is why I think we should all keep a level head in
this.
Willow: And I happen to think mine is the level head and yours is
the one things would roll off of.