Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:16:54 +0000
From:      Paul Thornton <prt@prt.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppoed problem with reconnections

Hi,

Eugene Perevyazko wrote:
> You have to look at keep-alive settings to terminate dead connections.
> And why don't you try an mpd (/usr/ports/net/mpd) that is perfectly suited
> to manage hundreds and thousands of simultaneous ppp (and PPPoE in particular)
> connections? It's fast, flexible and easy to setup both as server and client.

As Luiz suggested, I've changed the config to:

enable lqr echo
set echoperiod 5

which sorts my problem out just fine.

I did look into using mpd - mainly to compare which works best for our
situation.  However, I was having trouble making any PPPoE connections
come up when using mpd; I suspect that this is me not fully
understanding what I'm doing - and although I've done quite a bit of
looking, I can't find any good example configurations for a PPPoE server
using mpd (I'm sure they exist!).  Do you have any pointers for this?

Regards,

Paul.