Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:00:30 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vim question...

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 10:51:06PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 09:18:42PM -0700, Michael K. Smith wrote:
> > On 6/14/09 7:46 PM, "Gary Kline" <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > the main reason i don't use vim is because of its [u]ndo
> > > command.  as most of you can understand, there are a whole slew
> > > of times when i need to undo something.  too often in vim,
> > > hitting 'u' --- sometimes > once accidentally --- has resulted in
> > > a small disaster.  [[i have too many current/recent copies of
> > > my working files to do TOO much damage!]]  Anyway, is there a
> > > means of setting the undo key to mimic vi/nvi?
> > >
> > If you undo something and it was a mistake, just use the period (.).
>
> It's probably better to get in the habit of using :redo than the period
> to undo an undo, since :redo (or :red for not-very-short) can advance
> through several levels of undos, but the period can only repeat one
> single thing over and over again.  If you're six levels back in undos,
> and you want to undo all six levels, but you use the period once, I think
> that'd wipe out all those levels of undo so they aren't recoverable.

	Yeah, see, this is exactly my problem.  UAually, i just hit 'u'
	once, check my code, continue.  But then I think there may be
	cap-u ['U'] ... or maybe not.  It's only happened three or four
	times, but that was enough to keep me away from vim!

	You say that :red can undo 'several' levels....  without having
	me dig thru the vim docs, does :reo take an arg, like maybe
	:redo 5 ?

	bleah.  bill joy had the better idea back in the late 70's with
	the original vi  [IMHO]
	 :_)

> I haven't directly tested that recently, but that's how I recall it
> working back when I first learned about multiple undo/redo levels for
> Vim, lo these many moons ago when the world was young and dinosaurs
> roamed the Earth.

	man, i hear THAT!

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix