Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:49:38 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/120194: [patch] UFS volumes on ZVOLs cannot be fsck'd at boot

--X0cz4bGbQuRbxrVl

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 12:00:07PM +0000, Thomas Backman wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR conf/120194; it has been noted by GNAT=
S.
>=20
> From: Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org>
> To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,
>  freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
> Cc: =20
> Subject: Re: conf/120194: [patch] UFS volumes on ZVOLs cannot be fsck'd a=
t boot
> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 13:49:42 +0200
>=20
>  This bug is still relevant and unfixed as of 8.0-BETA2, although I ran =
=20
>  into it by being unable to mount ZVOLs using fstab, since /dev/zvol is =
=20
>  populated after mountcritlocal runs.
>  My fix was to move ZFS to before mountcritlocal, since the root is =20
>  already mounted R/W, but I suppose this fix is even better since it =20
>  solves the fsck problem as well, which I haven't ran in to yet.
>  It would be nice to see this easy fix implemented!

The problem with proposed patch is that it moves hostid script to before
root is mounted read-write and hostid can create /etc/hostid file.

Try this patch instead:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/zvol_fsck.patch

It splits hostid generation from storing it. Now ZVOLs can be
initialized before fsck runs.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--X0cz4bGbQuRbxrVl