Date:      Thu, 06 Aug 2009 08:35:40 +0200
From:      Mark Stapper <stark@mapper.nl>
To:        Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel designations terminology confusion -- amd64 used for	into quad core

--------------enigE19012D0F9C53655D52965F8

Mel Flynn wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 August 2009 05:27:55 Erik Trulsson wrote:
>
>  =20
>> The amd64 architecture is called that because it was AMD who invented =
and
>> created it and was for a while the only one using it and since AMD nam=
ed
>> the architecture AMD64 that was the name FreeBSD used too.  Later Inte=
>> also started using it (while using their own name(s) for it), but Free=
BSD
>> has stuck with the name amd64.
>>    =20
>
> This isn't completely correct. There is actually an ia64 architecture, =
before=20
> Intel was ready to give up the "who dictates the PC 64bit architecture"=
=20
> battle. There's a handful of CPU's who use that instruction set, but la=
ter=20
> Intel switched to supporting AMD's instruction set and thus the PC 64 b=
it=20
> architecture now is amd64.
>
> It'll be fun to see people asking in a few years why Oracle processors =
are=20
> called "sparc64"...
>  =20
Now I come to think of it, isn't it strange apple(or IBM) never joined
in the whole 64-bits naming race spactacle.
No one ever calls a  PowerPC 970 processor a PowerPC-64, or a IBM64 or
anything like it...
Nor have I ever heard the term RISC64. Too bad we won't have to worry
about that anymore, since PowerPC is dead and Mac Pro's are now amd64(or
Intel 64 or x86-64 whichever would be the "correct" term ;-) )