Date:      Tue, 25 May 2010 03:18:31 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jfvogel@gmail.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, john@jnielsen.net
Subject:   Re: em interface slow down on 8.0R

----Security_Multipart(Tue_May_25_03_18_31_2010_890)--

Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org> wrote
  in <20091220.053757.230970486.hrs@allbsd.org>:

hr> Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com> wrote
hr>   in <2a41acea0912052327t7830f85aw5b4b581ab3f09be9@mail.gmail.com>:
hr>
hr> jf> The 82573, when onboard (LOM) is usually special, it is used by system
hr> jf> management
hr> jf> firmware.  Go to the system BIOS and turn off management, see if that
hr> jf> eliminates the
hr> jf> periodic hang.
hr>
hr>  Well, I am using them without enabling such a BIOS feature on the two
hr>  boxes.
hr>
hr>  I was monitoring for 1 week after replacing the kernel of 8.0-STABLE
hr>  with 8.0R.  Frequency of the symptom was reduced, but occurred once
hr>  in 2-3 days.  So it is reproducible on 8.0R, too.

 JFYI, when I tried 8-STABLE as of May 15 the periodic hang-ups
 disappeared.  The chip ids are 0x109a8086 and 0x108c8086 (pciconf
 reported them as 82573L and 82573E, added to PCI slots on the box).
 The hang-ups were able to be reproduced on 8.0-RELEASE.

 I didn't tried other boxes which had another symptom (abnormal long
 interval between each packet), but I will give it a try and report
 it, too I have no idea of what was the cause because there were a lot
 of changes since the release, though.

-- Hiroki