Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 2009 17:36:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
To:        "M\. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard - how?

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> What finally made it work was stupidly simple...
>
> On my apple keyboard, I turned it on, typed 9 8 7 6 return and then
> things started working.  I'm typing this right now from the keyboard.

Heh, I've been away but was just going to suggest that reading your
mails..

btw a few words on security (though the scenario where somebody uses this
information and tracks you down to interfere with your system seems pretty
unlikely :)

- now that you have posted the PIN you used and bdaddr of your device, you
  might want to re-pair with a different (more secure) PIN as I think the
  link key may be derivable

- Not sure but I think that the keyboard will probably force auth and
  encryption when making connections. The FreeBSD stack does not have a
  way to do this except globally so unless you have the auth or
  encrypt flags set (see hccontrol(8)) then a remote device can
  break right in

- IMO the PIN should be ephemeral and use-once so when you are paired you
  should remove it from the config file or at least comment it out

> Now, I guess the next step would be to find the bt mouse I have and
> try to get it going as well...

that is probably fixed pin 0000 if not in the documentation

> This is my second favorite keyboard ever.

How is the keypress feel?  I've not had a go on one of those, but I have
an original apple bluetooth keyboard (white with clear undershell, full
sized with num keypad) that works well though a smaller one might be
interesting.

iain