Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 2010 20:42:33 +0100
From:      bsd <bsd@todoo.biz>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
Subject:   Re: Restoreing Dump on FreeBSD headless server

Le 4 janv. 2010 =E0 19:56, Jerry McAllister a =E9crit :

> On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 07:08:51PM +0100, bsd wrote:
>=20
>> Hello folks,=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> I would like to know how to proceed in order to restore a dump from a=20=

>> backup headless server (remotely using ssh).=20
>=20
>> How am I supposed to proceed, should I first install the server (a =
FreeBSD=20
>> Fresh install with spare partition) then restore the dump on an empty=20=

>> partition ? =20
>=20
> Depends on what you have and what you want to restore.
> Is the reason for the restore because the old disk went belly up?
> Or did you just nuke some stuff accidently.   Is the restore the
> boot disk or an extra work disk?  =20

Well, to tell you the truth: I am using a remote backup solution since =
2.5 years and the provider has just told me that he would no longer =
support my hardware
so I need to rebuild a new server based on my previous config

>=20
> In the first case, yes you will need to create something on the disk -=20=

> some sort of filesystem.   Probably that would mean using a fixit
> image to boot and do an fdisk(8), bsdlabel(8) and newfs(8).  =20

Ok, I think the server I will install that on might use some sort of =
virtual KVM that could allow me to do that

>=20
> It the second case, the filesystem[s] is[are] still intact and you
> only need to do an 'interactive' restore of just the files you want.
> IF you are doing an intereactive restore and if you have room, it may=20=

> be easiest to copy the whole dump file over to some big space on the=20=

> system and run the restore from that copy.  Then you can just ssh in=20=

> and run it just as if it was setting beside you.
>=20
> The same might not be true if you are replacing a destroyed disk=20
> because the restore will be a complete one and no file selecting
> will be necessary.
>=20
> If you cannot get physical contact with the machine, and the disk was
> damaged and replaced, you may have to learn how to do a network boot=20=

> and install.   I have never had to do that so am not a good one to =
guide=20
> that process.  =20

Well my idea was to rebuild the new server based on the dump I have =
realised (in order to save me the time to do the reinstall).=20
But from what you are telling me It might not be so easy

>=20
> In either case of having to create slices, partitions and filesystems,
> you do not have to do a complete system install.  You need to do just
> enough building to have the filesystems created and mountable.

Yes but how should I partition that ?=20

Should I re-create the=20

/
/var
/usr
/tmp

or=20

/ with minimal system

and re-create the mapping with nothing on slice.=20

> The fixit
> is just fine for that.   If you can get that going remotely, then
> do the fdisk, bsdlabel and newfs-s from that and then restore from=20
> the dump to the new filesystems. =20

Ok, that should be the good path

> Forget about doing a real install.
>=20
>>=20
>> Should the new empty partition be the exact same size as the dumped=20=

>> partition ?=20
>=20
> It just has to be large enough to hold what you restore.
> In fact, it is a good time to increase or adjust filesystem sizes if
> you have more room on the replacement disk.

Good

>=20
>>=20
>> Is there a tool that could allow me to restore remotely ?=20
>>=20
>=20
> You can use rsh(1).   I have done that.   =20
> Probably some specific ssh method too, but I am so old I haven't
> done one with that new fangled secure ssh yet...

Ok.=20

Thanks.=20

>=20
> ////jerry   =20
>=20
>=20
>>=20
>> Any advice or howto will be (very) welcome.=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Thanks.=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> P.S. Happy new BSD year !!=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=
=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF
>> Gregober ---> PGP ID --> 0x1BA3C2FD
>> bsd @at@ todoo.biz
>> =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=
=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF
>>=20
>> P "Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing =
this e-mail"
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20

=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=