Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 2010 05:35:14 +0000
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, falkman@gamozo.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Popularity

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 09:13:25PM +0100, Martin Tournoij wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 12:49:23PM -0600, Brandon Falk wrote:
>
> > Why is it that FreeBSD is so far behind Linux in popularity? The fact
> > that lots of companies are not very supportive of FreeBSD (ex. NVIDIA
> > and ATI 64-bit drivers) is really starting to bother me.
>
> The reason there are no 64bit nVidia drivers is because the FreeBSD kernel is
> missing some features that are needed for this. (I believe there are beta
> 64bit drivers now though?).
> In any case, it is hardly fair to blame nvidia.

I have to leap to nvidia's defense also. They worked hard with the
FreeBSD team to come up with a 64-bit driver which I'm currently
running without problems on AMD64: x11/nvidia-driver

> > I guess I would like to have a bit of a discussion of what could be improved
> > to increase the popularity of FreeBSD.
>
> Nothing. FreeBSD has no plans or illusions to take over the world.

Correct. It's minding it's own business

> > Any opinions/ideas on this situation?
>
> There is no situation.

I've seen Linux go from quite a nice OS to one that is dominated by a
few individual companies: RH, IBM, Novell.

I don't want that to happen with FreeBSD. If it does; NetBSD here I
come ;)

To be honest, I think the licence puts off most of the commercial
entities. Which is a *good* thing.

Regards,

--

 Frank