Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:12:12 +0100
From:      "Christopher J. Ruwe" <cjr@cruwe.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portmaster general questions and problems

--Sig_/jAaz.xwKlaq7bBWchr7GtHX

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:47:59 +0100
"Christopher J. Ruwe" <cjr@cruwe.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:59:49 +0000
> "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>=20
> > Threads about portmaster and portupgrade status raise the question,
> > what flags for portmaster are comparable to -R and -r for
> > portupgrade?
> >=20
> > I might want to portupgrade a package and all its dependencies (-R),
> > or less frequently, all packages that depend on the package to be
> > portupgraded (-r).  How would I do that using portmaster?  I read
> > both man pages many times.
> >=20
> > Tom
> >=20
>=20
> Hi Tom,
>=20
> I never gave it much thought, however, I am under the impression that
> portmaster does not require an explicit flag to do that.
>=20
> When installing some port, then I use portmaster -D /usr/port/<some
> port path>, the -D determining that I do not want to be prompted
> whether to retain the old distfiles or not, but to retain them (-d
> being the converse and deleting old distfiles). Using portmaster in
> the way described checks for dependencies and automagically updates
> them in case there are newer available.
>=20
> Cheers,=20

Sorry for missing one part (the -r) of your question ... how does "[-R]
-r name/glob of port directory in /var/db/pkg rebuild the specified
port, and all ports that depend on it" in the portmaster man page sound
to you and does it do what you a requiring?=20

cheers,
--=20
Christopher J. Ruwe
TZ GMT + 1