Date:      Mon, 30 May 2016 00:13:58 +0200
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org" <freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.d/zfs and /etc/rc.d/zvol no longer in FreeBSD-runtime package?

Hi everyone,

Actually, this was a different issue, but I have worked out the problem. It
relates to r299840.
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=299840

Basically, r299840 introduced a new FreeBSD-zfs package, which I did not
have installed. So when I did a pkg upgrade, it upgraded FreeBSD-runtime
and removed this files which were now split off into the new FreeBSD-zfs
package. Obviously, since I did not have the new FreeBSD-zfs package
previously installed, the files were not installed under this new package.

The fix is simple: pkg install FreeBSD-zfs

However, it does raise the point that whenever a new base pkg is created,
how should users be informed? Should pkg provide a warning that some files
have been moved to a newer package that isnt being installed, or should it
be a note in UPDATING?

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods