Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2019 12:16:01 -0300
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Lucas_Nali_de_Magalh=C3=A3es?= <rollingbits@gmail.com>
To:        Dmitri Goutnik <dg@syrec.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lang/go14 doesn't build without COMPAT11 in FREEBSD 12

> On Mar 23, 2019, at 4:07 PM, Dmitri Goutnik <dg@syrec.org> wrote:
>=20
>> On 19-03-23 15:38:14, Lucas Nali de Magalh=C3=A3es wrote:
>>=20
>> lang/go14 doesn't build in FreeBSD 12 without COMPAT11 in the kernel beca=
use of the inode 64bit extension was added in the kernel. lang/go needs go14=
 to compile and will also break without COMPAT11 in FreeBSD 12 kernel. I fou=
nd a discussion related to it in https://go-review.googlesource.com/c/sys/+/=
136816
>> but I don't have a patch ready. I know that if one manages to pass last g=
o14 command through truss the messages will say that COMPAT11 syscall wasn't=
 there.
>=20
> COMPAT_FREEBSD11 is a documented requirement for lang/go and lang/go14 on=20=

> FreeBSD 12 [1]. [2] explains technical reasons behind this requirement.
>=20
> [1] https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/FreeBSD
> [2] https://github.com/golang/go/issues/22447#issuecomment-423824181

This documentation mentions that rust also needs COMPAT_FREEBSD11 and in fac=
t, rust builds here if I add it to the kernel. I think both are bugs and the=
y need better documentation at least. Neither of them give useful error mess=
ages when COMPAT11 is missing. In fact, I was lost in the rust case and solv=
ed go case by accident. Not nice.

Lc

--=20
rollingbits =E2=80=94 =F0=9F=93=A7 rollingbits@gmail.com =F0=9F=93=A7 rollin=