Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 2020 16:48:22 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
Cc:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, freebsd-git@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beta git conversion available for experimentation

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 4:32 PM Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
wrote:

> In message
> <CAPyFy2DbqKX140qQbMuywA6Htt23+1K+aN7jitVH7qG4dkEFMA@mail.gmail.c
> om>
> , Ed Maste writes:
> > I'm pleased to share the Git Working Group's beta version of the
> > FreeBSD doc, ports, and src repositories. You can browse the
> > repositories at:
> >
> > https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/
> >
> > and the three individual repositories are:
> >
> > https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/doc/
> > https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/ports/
> > https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/src/
> >
> > Compared to the current git mirror repos (on GitHub) Ulrich has put in
> > a lot of effort to fix svn2git (svn-all-fast-export) to handle
> > mergeinfo and address other issues, so that the git conversion
> > correctly represents vendor branch merges, tag operations, etc. This
> > work is still ongoing as we work through the long tail of oddities in
> > our Subversion history, so a caution is in order:
> >
> > THE GIT HASHES IN THESE REPOSITORIES WILL CHANGE!
> >
> > These are for experimental purposes only at this point, and should not
> > yet be used for production purposes.
> >
> > An initial goal is to have maintainers of 3rd party ("contrib")
> > software in FreeBSD clone and check the history of their individual
> > components, and to start experimenting with managing vendor branches
> > in the git model. A lot more detail will be provided in the near
> > future, but I wanted to share the repository links so that interested
> > parties can start working with these new repos.
>
> Do we have any doc on managing contrib using the git model?

We're working on our suggested best practices.  We're making sure that the
early testing we did to come up with the basics can be replicated easily
enough for it to be practical.

There will be a doc going over all the following in detail, but here's the
outline.

git subtree allows one to merge in other repos into our main repo w/o users
of that repo needing to grab the merged in repos. We plan on making what we
call vendor branches today vendor repos. We'd then do a git subtree merge
from that repo as it tracks upstream.

There's a number of tricky cases to work out and to make sure work before
we can write it all up as a chapter in our "freebsd developer git guide"
that we'll be producing.

Warner