Date:      Wed, 02 Jul 2014 16:21:42 -0500
From:      Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: regex(3): support for \< and \> word delimiters

--Barc27AgSlAMftbldr21qPgcJWdxtWPxG

On 6/27/2014 4:15 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi;
>=20
> Il giorno 27/giu/2014, alle ore 15:25, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.=
org> ha scritto:
>=20
>> On 4/21/2014 1:53 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>>> Hello;
>>>
>>> Is there any related standard (or in absence strong feelings)
>>> about having \< and \> delimiters in regex expressions?
>>>
>>> I have an old PR bin/153257 which actually comes from illumos:
>>> https://www.illumos.org/issues/516
>>>
>>> I don't use them but maybe it would help people moving their
>>> scripts from Solaris.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Pedro.
>>
>> I don't know about a standard, but I find the lack of \< \> to be a
>> frustrating difference with other platforms. [[:<:]] [[:>:]] work but
>> are far more characters to type.
>>
>=20
> Thank you for the feedback! I had closed the issue because I thought th=
ere was no interest.
>=20
> Another thing that needed consideration was that I thought there was so=
me work going on to replace libregex with libtre, which doesn=92t support=
 *any* such delimiter so committing the change would raise the bar for th=
e replacement. Discussing it with Gabor it seems like libtre is not in th=
e capacity of replacing our current libregex anyways so I guess Spencer=92=
s libregex is here to stay.
>=20
> While here, there is also the sed(1) syntax issue:
>=20
> https://www.illumos.org/issues/586
>=20
> Adopting both changes would probably reduce to a minimum the use of GNU=
 sed in the ports tree, but such changes are likely to be controversial(?=
) and I don=92t feel like wearing asbestos underwear at this time .. at l=
east not for sed ;).
>=20
> Pedro.
>=20

IMHO yes that is a good thing to bring over as it helps with people
coming from other platforms and improves portability with scripts. I
started on Linux and kept wondering why I had FILEe files all over my
system until I realized -i '' was required on FreeBSD.

--=20
Regards,
Bryan Drewery