Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:27:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-embedded@FreeBSD.ORG, bsd@w.evip.pl
Subject:   Re: 64-bit support on VIA C7 - on FreeBSD 8.0

Wiktor Niesiobedzki <bsd@w.evip.pl> wrote:
 > Yes, that's where I got mislead. I've read about Nano processor and
 > that's supporting 64-bit, and I had the impression that it is the same
 > for C7. My mistake. And i thought about 64bit system, as I'm planning
 > to use ZFS and as I understand, this 64bit architecture is
 > recommended.

In that case, you might want to look for an intel Atom-based
mainboard, for example ASRock A330GC or Foxconn 45CSX which
are priced at 100 $US or even less, including an Atom 330
processor (dual-core 1.6 GHz).  It supports 64bit mode and
is noticably faster than the VIA C7 while consuming less
power.  Both of the boards mentioned above are "mini-ITX"
form factor (17 x 17 cm), provide one PCI slot and all of
the standard connectors (SATA, USB, LAN, VGA, PS/2 etc.).

The ASRock one seems to be a little better, as far as the
specs go.  It provides two RAM slots with a maximum of 4 GB
total which might be important for you because ZFS likes to
have as much RAM as possible (the Foxconn board has only one
RAM slot for 2 GB maximum).

Best regards
   Oliver

I suggested holding a "Python Object Oriented Programming Seminar",
but the acronym was unpopular.
        -- Joseph Strout